Saturday, October 1, 2011

Jade

Jade - Coastal Carpet Python
Meet Jade, he is a Coastal Carpet Python (Morelia Spilota). I watched this little guy from in a reptile shop in Melbourne for about 10 months. He was part of clutch that they were selling and every one of them had sold except this one. I think that the main reason he had not sold was because he was a bit snappy, well a lot snappy. He has calmed down a bit but is still very cage protective, so getting him out to clean his cage can be a bit of an adventure at times. 

Jade has been interesting to watch as he has grown up. When I first brought him home he was quite light in color but over time he has become much darker. Jade in case you have not guessed is a Green/Jade color the patterning on him is very striking, well I think so any way.
Jade ready to strike


She lives in an enclosure that I picked up from a friend for $20. I completely renovated it and he is now a very happy snake. At a later date I will explain how I turned the old $20 cage in to a brand new one for less than $50. It was well worth the effort. The cage is about 2ft X 2ft at the base and 5ft tall it has two levels and two different hides and a couple of well secured tree limbs for climbing. And he certainly likes his climbing.  This cage should be big enough for jade for a while yet as he is only about 1.2 – 1.3 meters long but he still has a bit of growing to go yet. He could easily get up to 1.8 meters in length or even bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment