Friday, October 7, 2011

Gandalf & McGonagall

Three baby Bearded dragons
My first step in to Reptiles was with Lizards, Jacky Dragons to be precise, now I only have Bearded Dragons. Currently Gandalf & McGonagall live together in the same cage in my lounge room in a display cage that I made myself. It can be a bit of a risk housing reptiles in the same enclosure and I have had fights one ended up with Gandalf losing the last 2cm of his tail but these 2 guys get along quite well. Baby Beardies are very cute and very tiny. You can see form this picture that 3 of them fit in to the palm of my hand. At this size you have to be very careful when you get them out because they move so fast and can be hard to catch. No they are about 20 - 25cm long not including the tail.

Friends just hanging out together
All of my Bearded Dragons have been runts of the clutch but these 2 have grown to almost full size now. They are a lot of fun and develop their own personalities MaGonagall is a very lively lizard whereas Gandalf is a lot more laid back and will happily sit on your arm or your lap for a while.

All reptiles are sun lovers but Bearded Dragons like nothing more than to get outside in the sun and lap up some UV rays in fact it is good for them. The one time that someone did not close the glass door on the lizard cage and one of them got out, I found the escapee sitting on the window sill looking outside enjoying the heat from the sun.

Bearded dragons do take a bit more care maintenance than the snakes do but they are still a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment