Friday, October 14, 2011

Parker the Jungle

On Display at the Reptile Expo
The last of my current critters is a Black and Gold Jungle Python. iI have only had Parker for a couple of months so far. I think she is a very pretty snake. I have thought that Black and gold Jungles were pretty snakes for a long time but did not want to get one because of their repetition for being a bit snappy. After dealing with Jade, my rather snappy Coastal Carpet Python, I decided that as long as you were always on you guard then they were pretty controllable.

I started looking on line for a Black and Gold Python but I could not find the colours I was looking for The yellow was a bit dull or the yellow blended in with the black instead of having a nice hard line. Then some of the shanks I liked the look of would have the line. “Can be a bit cage protective, but ok once out of his cage.” I translated this in to VERY SNAPPY SNAKE, not what I was looking for. Then while at the 2011 Melbourne Reptile Expo I saw some absolute stunners and some of them were quite docile (so it seemed) the only problem was cash. I was struggling a bit at this point. So I took the details of the breaded and kept them somewhere safe. About 6 months later I was cashed up and ready to go. Lucky for me the breeder still had about 5 left.
At home in her new cage
Parker lives in a small glass cage 30cm X 30cm x 45cm high she has calmed down quite a lot in the 2 months I have had here and is quite easy to handle. In fact you have to be careful that she does not wee on you when you get her out of her cage. I do not know where this habit has come form but she now des it almost every time.
At the moment Parker is only about 50-60cm long but I am really looking forward to watching her grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment